Hello, I have a problem, I think, I am 20. I have a baby, 5mo., and I got married last month. Since a young age, well since I can remember I haven't felt, right... I would describe it as empty, never satisfied. before I was married I was with my husband for 11 months and then I couldn't take it one day and I felt like I had to leave or like I was trapped, so I broke it off with him and things just went out of control. I started going for clubs looking for someone to come home with me because I was desperate at the though of being alone... I had a string of "boyfriends" I would sleep with them immediately and continue the relationship for about a month, never more than 2, and then they would have enough and well ask me to get lost. I didn't really care about them, I think, but at the time I was always in love. Madly in love and I thought we should run to vegas and have children but... well I am always thinking I am sick, I mean cancer ridden, but I don't tell anybody because I am afraid they will find out I am a wierdo... My husband knows I have strange thoughts but he just says I have an overactive imagination. Over the past few months I have become increasingly afraid of the dark. Not the dark it self but what could happen in the dark. what I can't see, who I can't see... My best friend at the time was bi-polar and she said I should get some help but she was just as destructive as I was so I never did anything about it. Ummm... I think there is something wrong, well not right. But if I did have a problem I don't think i'm supposed to realize something is wrong so it makes me think maybe I am just and imaginative person but at the same time, I want to get out of my skin. I have never had extreme anger or anything, just extreme sadness from seemingly nowhere. I can get through the day because I have kind of taught myself how to cope and put on a happy face. When I feel things it's not normal. It's either the best or the worst, there has never been an inbetween... isn't there supposed to be an inbetween. I am afraid my baby will have whatever it is that I might have... I think I am just at the end of my rope and I can't do it alone anymore, for the sake of my baby and husband please help. I want to be a great mom and wife but I am always feeling like I am letting them down and doing things wrong. even when my husband tells me i'm doing a great job! Maybe I am just being an idiot... Maybe I should just be stronger... Maybe... I have been having these thoughts of cutting myself, again, Or hurting myself in some other way because maybe then someone will see, someone will help...
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.