I have been married for 6 years. My husband has not been able to keep a job. In fact he has been unemployed for the past two years. The problem I have is that he doesn't even try to make a effort to find one. In times where we are facing economic problems I understand the difficulty in getting one. It's that he doesn't try. This morning I had an argument with him because he was giving me a hard time about mailing out a bill for me while I was trying to feed our baby. I wanted to make sure our rent check got sent out. When I found out he lost his job we came to an agreement that he would at least try to get some job training in a field that would be hiring. He has not even made an effort to get information. I try to talk to him on how I feel and it always results in an argument and some way to blame me.
I do not know what to do?? I feel so frustrated. I am seriously trying for my three sons and family. I need some form of his help and he is not making any strives to help. He's more committed to a video game on Facebook than he is to his own family. I am very hurt. I feel like this is not the man I fell in love with. I have had thoughts of filing for a divorce. I am very respectful towards the word of God and It says that would be wrong to divorce. I do not want to be disrespectful to him. I do not know what to do. Please help.I am afraid we are going to wind up homeless.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.